[WEB4LIB] Control panel

Richard Harrison Richard_Harrison at mindspring.com
Mon Oct 28 09:51:34 EST 2002

Hi, Dominique!

Without a clearer understanding of the particulars of the mindset and
motives to these changes in your shop in particular, I can give only
general advice. However, I note that I work in a shop where no one
outside of our PC services support personnel have administrator access
to any box - nobody, including us software engineer types.

> I would really like some good reasons why we should have access.  This is
> something we are going to have to argue for and I'd like to be able to
> quote others as to why it's necessary - I can think of some myself but
> other people's views hold weight.
You'd stand a better chance, arguing in favor of retaining access to a
considered list of those particular functions of the Control Panel which
you really believe would be most inconvenient or prohibitive of the
normal flow of business to lose. Access to Control Panel functionality
can be regulated with a fair degree of granularity via registry keys.
Turning off the most "dangerous" access may satisfy the security demands
of your IT folks, while leaving you the access you most need.
Alternatively, you simply retain administrator access for yourself
(-selves), while defining "no-access" user accounts on the boxes; it may
be a chore to  log-out-as-user + log-in-as-admin + make changes +
log-out-as-admin + log-in-as-user, but you can keep local control this
way.

"Re" arguments "pro" keeping access...
How swiftly will the IT staff who hold administrator access be able to
respond to requests when changes are required? Are there enough
competent support members of your IT team to ensure an acceptable
turnaround on requests in the priority categories normal, high, and
critical. Can you detail potential instances of the high and critical
categories and how diffusely emergent such examples might be, if
manifested? Anything critical, for which IT can't reasonably ensure
immediate address may support your case. You are working in medical
setting...can lives be at stake in the face of inadequate access
authorization?

Regards,
<geek>Richard</geek>