[WEB4LIB] Re: Nomination webpage

Joyce M. Latham latham1 at students.uiuc.edu
Fri Oct 18 08:33:56 EDT 2002

My students are also doing a Web4Lib assignment ... although you may not
be aware of them.  They have been monitoring the contents of the site
all semester, and we discuss what topics emerge on the list every
Friday.  I have also occasionally encouraged students to post a query to
the list ... usually because I don't know the answer to the question.

The point is to investigate what avenues are available to assist with
the diffusion of IT knowledge.  I don't know about anyone else, but when
I got started with IT in libraries the collegiality within the
profession was critical to the successful (most of the time) adoption of
technology -- especially in my libraries.  I was often just a step or
two ahead of everyone else in the library, so got the IT management
job.  It was challenging -- and often scary.  We needed to help each
other.

  While I was in NC, we started a microcomputers users group
for libraries that sponsored a computer camp for librarians every summer
-- ran for a week and cost $100.  You could learn how to take a pc apart
and put it back together, or you could learn dBASE III+, or Lotus ...
those of us who knew something, sponsored a track ... those of us who
didn't, took the classes in the track ... too bad we've commercialized
so much of what we know ...

We cared about enabling our colleagues ... I hope we still do.  As far
as I'm concerned, my students -- any students -- are as much my
colleagues as any practicing librarian who already knows it all and
doesn't need any help.  We have an opportunity here to continue the
supportive environment that can promote best practice and network the
lonely techies out there in libraries all over the country ...

Joyce Latham
University of Illinois

--
Joyce M. Latham