Linux on public computers

Junus, Ranti junus at mail.lib.msu.edu
Tue Oct 1 13:50:27 EDT 2002

[cross-posted to oss4lib, syslib-l, web4lib.  My apologies for the duplicates.]

Dear All,

Our System Administrator here reported that Indiana University recently modified one of its student computer labs (not the library) to use the Linux desktops and it seeems quite "successful enough that IU is considering using it as a pattern for other student lab situations."  He's been in touch with the IU tech folks to see if this is also feasible for our library (is there any IU-Library folks here?  Could you shed any more info?)

I know that Meadville public library is using linux for their public PCs (http://meadvillelibrary.org/os/).  Are there any other libraries out there (especially academic ones) that also use linux for (some or all) public PCs?   If you could share the story on the details (HW, SW, network, printing issues if you do the no-free printing solution, management and maintenance, etc.) that would be very helpful.   I'll sumarize the responses.

Thanks in advance.

ranti.

--
Ranti Junus - Systems