[WEB4LIB] RE: Following standards

Michael Sauers msauers at bcr.org
Wed Oct 30 15:09:36 EST 2002

> When in HREF, do as the Roma..., errr, use straight URLs.
> If one is compelled to spell out the link address as the anchor, use HTML
> entities for any questionable characters.  [This is a phenomenon which I
> have observed over the years, but which I have yet to fathom.]

So you're saying do this:

foo.html?junk=1&amp;stuff=2</a>            ^
               ^^^^
Actually, at least in XHTML, that line will not validate. To write valid
XHTML you must encode the ampersand everywhere. That's what people are
complaining about.

Besides, why would using &amp; inside a URL not be a 'straight URL' as
you've called it?

Michael Sauers, Librarian, Trainer & Author
Bibliographical Center for Research (BCR)
Aurora, CO :: 303-751-6277 x124 :: msauers at bcr.org
http://www.bcr.org/~msauers
a:visited {display: none}

"Make what your heart instructs, and don't let
anyone persuade you to compromise with your own
truth."  --Clive Barker
                       _
ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
 - against HTML email  X