[WEB4LIB] RE: Following standards

Joyce M. Latham latham1 at students.uiuc.edu
Wed Oct 30 14:17:17 EST 2002

OK ... let's go over this one again ... large public institutions that
were given millions of dollars to install significant networks have not
been given the money to upgrade those networks.  So, you have alot of
older hardware out there that cannot support the better OS to run better
browsers.  And, true, there are options to those installations but it
still requires a level of expertise that isn't generally available.  If
you require all developers to meet those standards you may effectively
prevent those institutions from participating in the info exchange.  In
fact, those institutions must develop their web resources to match their
technical infrastructure.

So, no, it isn't the same as the MARC standard, although some of us had
to wrestle with that one as well ...

Joyce Latham
GSLIS