[WEB4LIB] Re: Hard hyphen and HTML validation

Chris Gray cpgray at library.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Oct 30 10:43:59 EST 2002

If everyone followed standards (including browsers and HTML editors) then
this sort of problem would cease to exist (except as bugs not features)
and that would save us all the kind of time and trouble we're devoting to
them.  The more we use, support, and insist on standards the sooner that
day will come.  In the meantime, granted, sometimes you have to go with
what works if it conflicts with a standard, but we should all complain
loudly when we do and not make having to put up with it into a virtue.

Chris Gray
Systems Analyst
University of Waterloo Library

"general principle of robustness: be conservative in what you do, be
liberal in what you accept from others."  --Jon Postel, 1980, RFC 761, TCP