Hard hyphen and HTML validation

Stacy Pober stacy.pober at manhattan.edu
Tue Oct 29 19:18:43 EST 2002

Oops, correcting myself here.  I misspoke:  the line doesn't
break at an & character. It breaks only with the hyphen or
the numeric character entity for the hyphen.

As for substituting & for an ampersand, I doubt that would
make me too happy.  It will make my pages validate without
warnings, but it would also break a number of important links.

For example, the link to our online catalog is:
http://www.waldo.msus.edu/cgi-bin/pals-cgi?palsAction=newSearch&setWeb=MCLCAT
On of our silverplatter databases is:
http://webspirs.silverplatter.com:8000/waldo?sp.form.first.p=srchmain.htm&sp.dbid.p=S(WN)
and America: History and Life is:
http://serials.abc-clio.com/cgi-bin/nph-AppStart.py2.1?_appname=v3&initialdb=AH

We cannot substitute & for THOSE ampersands.

So...as far as I can tell, any pages with those URLs are doomed to
be 'invalid' as far as most validation services are concerned.

Best,
Stacy

--
Stacy Pober