[WEB4LIB] touch screens for info. kiosk

Andrew I. Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Tue Oct 29 10:09:53 EST 2002

Steve,

Here were my recommendations for specific models. I didn't check the links
and I imagine that many of the models have been replaced by more current
ones. However, it may help you get started. I'll see if I can get the
info. on what specifically was purchased and send that to you personally.

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library
Waterford, MI

-------------------------------

I've reviewed the touch-screen flat-panel monitors offered by CDW for the
Police Station.  I was looking for monitors that:

1) Came in 15 or 17 inch sizes

2) Used either capacitive or sound acoustic wave touch technology

3) If possible, utilized well-rated flat-panel monitors based on recent
published reviews.

I discovered that there isn't a huge selection of these monitors
available.  Many of them were unsuitable for our purposes. Several brands
provide touch technology but with no indication on the type of monitor
making it hard to judge which is worth getting.  I've listed several
models that generally fit our needs.  The following two had decent but not
top-rated monitors.

EIZO FlexScanr L350 TouchScreen
http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.asp?EDC=268041
or
http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.asp?EDC=268042 [black]

This monitor had decent reviews.  It uses the capacitive touch technology.

iiyama TXA3841J
http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.asp?EDC=305042

This brand has had decent reviews for their monitors.  I didn't have a
review for their 15" monitors.  This model uses the surface acoustive wave
touch technology.

These two brands also meet our needs but did not have monitors that had
been reviewed.  They may be very good monitors or not-so-good.  These two
companies seem to specialize in touch technology so if we decide to go
with one of these, we may want to inquire as to the brand of monitors that
they use.

Microtouch ClearTekr 3000
http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.asp?EDC=120440

This uses capacitive touch technology.  I don't have any information on
the quality of the monitor.

EloTouch 1525L
http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.asp?EDC=220953 [also comes in
black]

This uses the sound acoustic wave touch technology.  This model can come
with either a serial or USB connector.

Besides the monitors listed here, we might want to explore buying the
monitor and flat-panel screen separately. That would allow us to purchase
the best monitor for our needs with our choice of flat-panel technology  I
found a company, Motiontouch, that sells capacitive touch systems with
Samsung flat-panel monitors.  Both of their Samsung models have been among
the top-rated flat-panel monitors.

http://www.motiontouch.com/products/touchscreen/monitors/default.asp?s=2&l=3&sub=10007

Viewsonic is another flat-panel monitor manufacturer that gets very good
ratings.