Control panel

DCollins at rveeh.vic.gov.au DCollins at rveeh.vic.gov.au
Sun Oct 27 18:10:46 EST 2002

I am one member of a two person hospital library.  Our hospital has an IT
department that manages the infrastructure and provides software support.
We manage our own webpages and the hospital links pages, we also
periodically help out another department with their intranet pages and we
are in the process of setting up our new LMS.  We also do training sessions
in the databases we have access to.

The IT department has just installed new PCs running Windows XP and are
seeking to take all control from all users - ie no downloading or
installing programs, no access to control panel, etc.

Not downloading programs I can live with (provided they provide timely
support when we need updates loaded) but I think we should have access to
the control panel at least.

I would really like some good reasons why we should have access.  This is
something we are going to have to argue for and I'd like to be able to
quote others as to why it's necessary - I can think of some myself but
other people's views hold weight.

Thanks

Dominique Collins (Ms)
Librarian
Conjoint Libraries of The Royal Victorian Eye & Ear Hospital and
  The Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists
The Royal Victorian Eye & Ear Hospital
Locked Bag 8
East Melbourne VIC 8002
AUSTRALIA
Tel: 61 (0) 3 9929 8710
Fax: 61 (0) 3 9639 1808
Email: DCollins at rveeh.vic.gov.au
http://www.rveeh.vic.gov.au/library/

Attention:
The information in this e-mail message may be confidential, and may
also be subject to legal privilege, public interest or legal
professional privilege. If you are not the intended recipient, any
use, disclosure or copying of this e-mail is unauthorised.

If you have received this message in error, please contact the sender.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept for
the presence of computer viruses. The Royal Victorian Eye and Ear
Hospital however does not warrant the message is free of viruses.
It is recommended as a prudent business practice the recipient perform
a virus scan of any message received.