[WEB4LIB] RE: HTML Referring?

Richard Harrison Richard_Harrison at mindspring.com
Thu Oct 24 22:06:04 EDT 2002

> > > 6. Client Side Includes (with Java[EMCA]Script)
>
> If all of your site navigation is included with client-side scripting, what
> message do you give users with client-side scripting disabled?

None (and it's more than just navigation - that was merely the sample).
The purely client-side solution has been applied for amateur, personal
site(s), offered sans apologia to the browser-challenged. For pro stuff,
I currently do thin-client, mostly HTML/CSS pumped from Websphere app.
servers via servlets and beans. I note however, that my shop's model,
serving up tens of millions of pages annually, relies on a JavaScript
snippet to pass a parameter back to the server in the request object. In
the private sector there is frequently a lack of sympathy for those who
elect to disable scripting...too small a crowd to justify the expense of
programming alternative pages (perceived as a low to zero return on
investment).

<geek>Richard</geek>