[WEB4LIB] RE: HTML Referring?

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Thu Oct 24 09:55:31 EDT 2002

At 09:43 AM 10/24/2002, Dan Lester wrote:

>TD> If all of your site navigation is included with client-side scripting,
>what
>TD> message do you give users with client-side scripting disabled?
>
>      No argument with Thomas's point.  But I'm curious if anyone has
>      any sort of figures on how many "regular folks" turn off client
>      side scripting, or surf with images turned off.  I know some of
>      the list members do, but I don't consider list members to be a
>      representative sample of "real users".
>
>      dan

With a heaping spoonful of caveats about the quality of the sample,
thecounter.com shows 10% of hits with no JavaScript in September 2002:
<http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2002/September/javas.php>.  By comparison,
they show Netscape 4 at 2%, and we still have people falling over
themselves to accomodate NS4.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu