[WEB4LIB] RE: HTML Referring?

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Tue Oct 22 12:18:52 EDT 2002

At 08:12 AM 10/22/2002, Drew, Bill wrote:
>WYSIWIG does have its advantages.  I have been editing and creating HTML
>files since shortly after the first version of lynx was released for the VMS
>system.  I know my html inside and out.  I use Dreamweaver both in code view
>and WYSIWIG.  I use Dreamweaver because of its file management capabilities
>and because of the template functions.  I edit quite often in code view but
>also use WYSIWIG to move around on the page.

This conflates a couple of different issues.  Dreamweaver MX is a good
editor that has a graphical editing mode.  It also has powerful tools for
file and site management.  The two are not related, and there's no reason
why text editors couldn't match all of those management features.

Dreamweaver MX has done an admirable job of putting a user-friendly
graphical shell on a program that generates good code.  It is a rare
exception: most graphical editors create horrendous code, and graphical
editing itself encourages untrained, inexperienced authors to write poorly
structured documents (IMO, of course) and think only about document
appearance.  Witness the fact that so many people on this list think that
graphical HTML editing is actually WYSISWYG.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu