[WEB4LIB] Re: Old American Memory Project Link no longer

Richard Wiggins rich at richardwiggins.com
Tue Oct 8 17:48:06 EDT 2002

Well, I guess reasonable people may differ as to what constitutes a
good-looking link.  I've always felt that one should NEVER prominently
publish a URL that includes the .html (or gaaack .htm) file name.  It should
be a folder with a properly working default index file.  For very specific
citations (as opposed to major starting points) it might be a different
matter.

To my mind, then, http://memory.loc.gov is a good URL to publish for the
planet.  Or americanmemory.org.  Or anything, er, memorable.

But none of this has anything to do with the real issue, which is link rot.
LOC has mindshare for one of the most important projects in digital
libraries, and they should only break URLs they've published as a last, last
resort.

/rich

href="http://mail.richardwiggins.com//jump/http://lcweb2.loc.gov/ammem/amhome.html">http://lcweb2.loc.gov/ammem/amhome.html</a>

href="http://mail.richardwiggins.com//jump/http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/ammemhome.html">http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/ammemhome.html</a>

> which looks better than memory.loc.gov alone.
>
> We link to American Memory from selected dynamic subject pages (through
> a resources database &amp; content management tool), but it is not on our
> &quot;databases by title&quot; list (primarily subscription databases).
But it is