[WEB4LIB] Old American Memory Project Link no longer working

Richard Wiggins rich at richardwiggins.com
Tue Oct 8 04:31:27 EDT 2002

You know, there really is no reason why such links, no matter how old,
should be broken.  AltaVista finds about 9000 links to this server.  About
100 of those links are from loc.gov sites themselves! The rs6.loc.gov server
is still online.  Go to its root and it emits:

   This U.S. Government system is restricted by law to authorized, official
use only.

As long as that rs6 box is alive, there's no reason why it can't redirect
folks to the current host/URL.  Redirects are very cheap -- almost free.  So
redirect and return Error 404 status so that spiders stop indexing the pages.

I guess we've determined that the duration of American Memory is about 6
years.  :-(

/rich

(PS - how to build an Error 404 handler:
http://search.msu.edu/help/providers/errorhandler/)

href="http://mail.richardwiggins.com//jump/http://rs6.loc.gov/ammem/amhome.html">http://rs6.loc.gov/ammem/amhome.html</a>
href="http://mail.richardwiggins.com//jump/http://memory.loc.gov">http://memory.loc.gov</a>/