[WEB4LIB] FW: RE: Preferred public email accounts

Louise Alcorn Louise.Alcorn at wdm-ia.com
Fri Oct 4 14:30:50 EDT 2002

Hunter--

For what it's worth, I have had a Yahoo! account since soon after they began offering them.  Earlier this year I was going to be out of the country for a month and didn't want my account filling up, as I'd have limited access.  For about two months preceding my departure, I made a point of using the "unsubscribe" links at the bottom of most junk emails.  I noticed multiple emails being produced from the same lists, which I never remembered signing up for (of course).  Once I'd been persistent about this, my number of overall Bulk Mails went down significantly, and has mostly stayed down.  I agree that occasionally something I want ends up in Bulk Mail, but it is rare.  The companies I do regular business with, or whose "coupons" I actually want, tend to get through to my Inbox.  And with the new interface, I can "empty" my Bulk Mail folder with a single click, which is nice--especially when I'm reaching capacity :-)

The porn email is, of course, the exception to the above success story.    If on rare occasions it shows up in my Inbox, I block it and send it to Yahoo as spam.  Pointless, of course, since these porn companies change their email addresses every day (!).  I did send a message to Yahoo! support mentioning that I'd like to be able to block and notify about spam *without* having to look at the message itself (basing solely on the subject line, which you can usually identify as porn spam).  No response as yet.  Perhaps the next upgrade?

I've watched many of my patrons struggle with the interface on Hotmail, and I've tried to familiarize myself with it so I can answer their questions, but I think it is unnecessarily frustrating and poorly laid out.

My $.02 worth, payable in installments.
Louise

Louise E. Alcorn     --    Reference Technology Librarian
West Des Moines Public Library
4000 Mills Civic Pkwy
West Des Moines IA 50265
(515) 222-3573      louise.alcorn at wdm-ia.com
http://www.wdm.lib.ia.us

>>> "Kevil, L H." <KevilL at missouri.edu> 10/04/02 01:10PM >>>

Hi Keith,

How do you manage to keep your trash mail so low?

Yahoo's SpamGuard does catch most spam and place it in the bulk mail folder. But I find we still have to scan it because some messages we do want are sent there.  But for the trash that gets into the Inbox, you have to open the message before you can mark it as spam, and some of those messages are very offensive.

Hunter