[WEB4LIB] Preferred public email accounts

Robert Sullivan rsullivan at sals.edu
Fri Oct 4 12:53:28 EDT 2002

> When your patrons ask for advice on what free, web-based email
> service to sign up with, what do you advise them? I'd like to find a
> service that is obscure enough not to generate great volumes of
> spam (like hotmail does) but stable enough to be unlikely to
> disappear some day in the near future. I've been suggesting yahoo
> as a better alternative to hotmail, but would like to explore some
> other options.

We use Yahoo mail in our classes and recommend it over Hotmail.  You may
recall that when Hotmail went offline a year or two ago (DOS attack, I
think), they admitted they didn't get any more complaints that day than
they usually did.  We don't usually have that problem with Yahoo.

Bob Sullivan  <rsullivan at sals.edu>
Schenectady County Public Library (NY)  <http://www.scpl.org/>
Schenectady Digital History Archive
<http://www.schenectadyhistory.org/>