[WEB4LIB] netscape7 flash problem

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Wed Nov 13 10:19:05 EST 2002

At 09:17 AM 11/13/2002, Bert Coenen wrote:
>does anyone know what I'm missing here? in a number of web pages on our
>website I need to refer to flash-movies that are stored on one of our
>lan-servers, the reference i've been using up till now looks like this:
>
>src="file://cdlaw01/opstart/fiscalnet.swf"
>(i.e. file://server_name/shared_directory/flash_movie.swf)

Do a "File->Open" and follow the dialog boxes to the file you want.  You
should see the following ugly concoction in the address bar.

   file://///server_name/path/to/flashy-thingy.swf

My copies of Netscape 4, Netscape 7, and IE all understand that, although
Opera does not.

I think this is interpreted as "file://" plus an implicit "localhost", plus
a path of "/", followed by the share name
"\\server_name\path\to\flashy-thingy.swf" with the backslashes forwardized.

All things considered, it might be worthwhile running Apache on the server
and dishing the movies out via HTTP.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu