Serials Solutions modifications? -- do it yourself!

Kenneth R. Irwin kirwin at wittenberg.edu
Sun Nov 10 19:52:43 EST 2002

Hi all,

I don't know to what extent Serials Solutions is likely to modify their
product to link to individual titles, but this is certainly something that
you can do on the local level. At our library, we do our whole serials list
locally, with no third party intervention; that gives us full control over
the linking capability.

It can be a little tricky to go it on your own, but if you someone who's
Perl and SQL skills are adequate, it should be quite manageable. You want
Perl to take the vendor's title lists out of their native form and squeeze
the data into the right shape for your local database; you'll want the SQL
& interfacing script language (I use PHP; you could use Perl there too) to
handle the user side. We're quite happy with the end result, which we've
been using in one form or another since 1998.

You can see the current implementation at:
http://www6.wittenberg.edu/lib/research/ejournals/
(although the URL just says "ejournals", it actually has our print and
microfilm holdings as well)

(The UNC Greensboro library has a similar and probably more extensive
project at:
http://journalfinder.uncg.edu/uncg/ )

Be not afraid -- do it yourself! (I expect that it would be possible to
take the SS list and run some Perlish modifications, but at that point, you
might as well save yourself a few thousand bucks on SS and just do the
whole thing yourself.)

Caveats:
1. The startup time on this is not negligible; a personweek or two, with an
incremental hour or two for each new vendor you want to include (since you
need to write individual data-loaders).
2. Libraries that don't have the in-house scripting skills will be happier
just using the plain SS product. Unless, of course, you've always wanted an
excuse to learn Perl... ;)

If anyone wants to tackle something like this, I'll be happy to help out,
though I'll probably be more useful to folks who are inclined toward
Unix/Linux development.

Joy and independence,
Ken

Ken Irwin                                               kirwin at wittenberg.edu
Reference/Electronic Resources Librarian        (937) 327-7594
Thomas Library, Wittenberg University