[WEB4LIB] Re: Accessibility annoyance of the day

Edward Spodick lbspodic at ust.hk
Tue Nov 5 20:38:57 EST 2002

>On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 08:33:47AM -0800, Karen G. Schneider remarked:
>> The Center for Women Veterans, http://www.va.gov/womenvet/
>>
>> Several key documents, including a FAQ, are only in Microsoft
>> Word!
>>
> > Note: I am not anti-Microsoft or anti-Word.

Word is a very sophisticated product.  My campus has a site license, which allows me to install a copy on both my office computer, and my home computer.

Unfortunately, I have 2 home cvomputers, and also a laptop - so i own 2 computers for which I do not have licenses to Word.  And I'm not about to go out and buy it just to read the occasional e-mail attachment or web site document.  If the document looks critically important, I will open it in a text editor and try to get through the codes to see the gist of the textual content, if any.  Many I just trash.

Oh - some have suggested I download the free MS Word Viewer program so i can read the documents anyway.  Unfortunately, it is not available for my operating system (Macintosh).

Accessibility ... NOT.

--
- - - - -
Edward F Spodick, Information Technology Manager