Brainstorming: Tablet PCs

Bob Rasmussen ras at anzio.com
Wed Nov 27 11:58:39 EST 2002

(Posted to multiple lists)

OK, gang, it's time to brainstorm before the turkey makes you all sleepy.

I am intrigued by the introduction of the Tablet PCs. I have played with
a couple in the stores, but don't have one for serious testing (yet).

Here are the key design elements:

1) You can write on the screen, as with a PDA.

2) The screen is bigger than a PDA, typically 14 or 15".

3) They run standard Windows programs (they're based on XP).

4) They have built-in wireless networking (802.11b).

5) They have speech recognition, although that hasn't been discussed much.

6) You can hold one on one arm, and write on it with the other hand
(although I might need to build up my arm's stamina to how it was when I
had babies to carry).

7) There is usually a USB port, which might connect to a barcode reader,
camera, or ???.

So assume you have a wireless router in your library. How might these
units be used, by staff and by patrons? Here's some of my ideas:

a) Someone could access the OPAC while browsing the shelves.

b) You could do inventory without buying special devices.

c) They might make a better e-book than an actual E-book does.

d) If you were roaming through the library with one, and you moved out of
range of one wireless router, to another, would your network connection
stay alive?

e) If a patron were deep in the stacks, and needed help, could they
instant-message the help desk? How about video-chat, if there was a
camera on the Tablet PC?

f) Could a patron work at a desk somewhere writing a paper, then move to
within range of a router and quickly connect to a printer? Or would
Bluetooth allow this?

g) Perhaps on-screen writing would make entry of CJK easier.

I welcome your thoughts.

Regards,
....Bob Rasmussen,   President,   Rasmussen Software, Inc.

personal e-mail: ras at anzio.com
 company e-mail: rsi at anzio.com
            fax: (US) 503-624-0760
            web: http://www.anzio.com