[WEB4LIB] Re: cross-database search

gary gprice at gwu.edu
Mon Nov 18 18:14:56 EST 2002

I've been a fan and admirer of Muse (the company is based in Salt Lake City as is
actually called Muse Global) for quite some time.

In often feature it in my presentations. As a matter of fact, I mentioned Muse
during two of my Internet Librarian sessions.

Unlike similar products it's not Z39.50 based and it merges results from
disparate sources into a single scrollable list using relevancy and/or other
criteria. It also dedupes results. This takes the burden off of the user to
deciding which source is the best after they run a search.

Muse also offers a feature that allows searches to be saved and rerun
automatically with new results delivered to the searcher via email.

The company was founded and currently led by Peter Noerr. Peter is well-known in
library automation circles.

cheers,
gary

--

Gary D. Price, MLIS
Librarian
gary at freepint.com

The Virtual Acquisition Shelf and News Desk
http://resourceshelf.freepint.com