[WEB4LIB] Re: cross-database search

Amos Lakos aalakos at library.ucla.edu
Mon Nov 18 17:52:26 EST 2002

At the last Internet Librarians Conference I was introduced to MUSE -
among their products, which look impressive to me - they have something
called - MUSESearch which is supposed to be able to combine
searching across unlimited numbers and types of information sources.

Check them out at  www.museglobal.com

I wonder if any of you have informed opinions about MUSE.

Amos

At 02:56 PM 11/14/02 -0800, Roy Tennant wrote:
>A bit over a year ago, I wrote a "Digital Libraries" column on this in
>Library Journal (see
>http://libraryjournal.reviewsnews.com/
>index.asp?layout=articlePrint&articleID=CA170458 ). In it, I pointed to
>the Web4Lib message in which I posted a summary of responses I had
>received to a similar query (see
>http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/Web4Lib/archive/0109/0021.html ). Since I
>asked my question well over a year ago, and the market is in a good
>deal of ferment now, it may be time to do another survey of what
>options exist, and what libraries are implementing. My own institution
>(the California Digital Library) is looking into commercial options and
>whether they are good enough to take the place of our in-house system,
>Searchlight (referenced in the aforementioned article and Web4Lib
>message). If there is anything that can be shared from that
>investigation, I'll send it along as well.
>Roy
>
>On Thursday, November 14, 2002, at 02:27  PM, Nancy Sosna Bohm wrote:
>
> > I thought there was a discussion on this list about a product that
> > would
> > search multiple databases. I can't find anything like that in the
> > Web4Lib
> > Archives.
> > Does anyone have any info on such a product?
> > Several years ago UMI/Proquest/Electric Library marketed a product
> > that
> > would at least allow users to do a simultaneous subject search in
> > Proquest's database, the library's catalog, and the Internet.
> > I can't even seem to come up with the right key terms to research this.
> > Any suggestions? Or am I dreaming?
> > TIA,
> > Nancy

> > This message sent using EMUmail -- http://www.emumail.com
> >
> > Jumping through hoops to get E-mail on the road?
> > You've got two choices: Join the circus, or use MollyMail.
> >
> > Molly Mail -- http://www.mollymail.com

Amos A. Lakos
Head, Reference & Instructional Services
UCLA, Charles E. Young Research Library
11630 YRL Bldg., Box 951575
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1575
E-mail - aalakos at library.ucla.edu