[WEB4LIB] Quicktime on Win98, 2K, XP

Jodi Thomson jodi at waikato.ac.nz
Mon Nov 18 16:06:59 EST 2002

> Since we're not expert on ActiveX stuff, but have heard various horror
> stories, we'd be interested in learning about how any of you who
> already have TIFF viewers on public machines evaluate the pros and
> cons of Alternatiff, QT, and others for such purpose.
>
> Please limit replies to those who run Win98, 2K, and/or XP in public
> environments.  No need to tell me about *ix, Mac, and other stuff,
> since they're totally irrelevant to my environment.

We have used Alternatiff successfully in the past. However an easier
solution exists within Windows itself. Simply set Imaging for Windows
(previously Wang Image Viewer), Start
Menu->Programs->Accessories->Imaging to be the default application
viewer for TIFF.
For IE 5.x and higher you will need to do this using Windows
Explorer->Tools->Options->File Types
3rd party browsers will need to have the appropriate MIME type set

Regards
Jodi

Jodi W. Anderson, Mr (A+, MCP) - Computer Systems Consultant
Waikato University Library - Computing Operations Group
Ph: +64 7 838 4323
email: jodi at waikato.ac.nz

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've
forgotten this before."