A Few Search Engine Stats, "What People Look At"

gary gprice at gwu.edu
Sun Nov 17 14:29:53 EST 2002

Hello from Sacramento!

A few web search stats I plan on posting to the ResourceShelf tomorrow.

I don't think these numbers will be a big surprise to most of you but they might
be useful for presentations. They also might help with why learning to limit
(limiting for many users might be placing a phrase inside quotation marks) with a
search engine could be useful.

Although the problems that exist with info quality are also a MAJOR concern
(perhaps the biggest concern in the web age) and perfectly illustrated in Rich's
recent post, I think these numbers also illustrate other major problems in the
age of web search engines.

----
You can read the full NUA article with more stats here:
http://www.nua.com/surveys/?f=VS&art_id=905358569&rel=true

Highlights:
"According to a recent study from iProspect, three-quarters of Internet users use
search engines. However, 16 percent of Internet users only look at the first few
search results, while 32 percent will read through to the bottom of the first
page.

"The study also indicates that 52.1 percent of Internet users choose the same
search engine or directory when searching for information, while 35 percent
alternate among a number of favorite search properties."

"Only 7.5 percent of Internet users said they refined their search with
additional keywords in cases where they were unable to achieve satisfactory
results."
Source: NUA Internet Surveys, 11/14/02

More Here:
http://cyberatlas.internet.com/markets/advertising/article/0,,5941_1500821,00.html
or
http://tinyurl.com/2rur

cheers,
gary

The Virtual Acquisition Shelf and News Desk (The ResourceShelf)
http://resourceshelf.freepint.com--
--
Gary D. Price, MLIS
Librarian