[WEB4LIB] RE: Virtual reference and "chat speak"?

Sloan, Bernie bernies at uillinois.edu
Fri Nov 15 18:31:00 EST 2002

Joe Murphy asked:

"...how many characters long is the average patron message?"

I have some info on the length of patron messages in words (rather than
characters)...

I've studied the length of the opening statement/question of users of the
Ready for Reference Service. For the 877 transcripts that I have:

Mean question length in WORDS: 19.5
Shortest question length in WORDS: 1
Greatest question length in WORDS: 118

Bernie Sloan