[WEB4LIB] Virtual reference and "chat speak"?

Jean Willis jwillis at sdcll.org
Fri Nov 15 15:00:31 EST 2002

Many of the CA County Law Librarians are participating in the MCLS 24x7 chat ref
project (see our website, listed below), and we offer law library chat ref
mainly from 8 or 9 am to 5 or 6 pm Mon - Fri.  I do not personally provide the
Ref services, but I have assisted in setting up the program at our Library.  In
addition, I had training on how the system works.  From my limited exposure with
it, we do not use much "chat speak."

For one thing, it's hard to tell at whether the customer would understand that.
Our librarians try to keep it simple and clearly understandable.  I would advise
against the use of abbreviations and emoticons in most cases.  Bernie's rather
extensive research into this seems to bear this out.

We often hear that one should aim one's training classes at the 4th grade level
(we provide extensive public classes on how to use the law library).  As opposed
to academia (perhaps), many of our public law library customers have either a
limited educational level or a language barrier.  Especially with online Ref -
where you cannot see or hear the customer - one has to use care with replies and

I would advise others, even those who feel that their customers may be highly
educated, to use similar caution with "chat ref" responses.  I guess KISS
applies to many walks of life!!

Jean Willis

Jean L. Willis                          jwillis at sdcll.org
Assoc. Dir. for Information Systems     (619) 531-4443
San Diego County Public Law Library     (619) 238-7716 (fax)
1105 Front Street                       http://www.sdcll.org
San Diego, CA 92101-3904