IE6 'Peek-a-boo' bug

Robert Long rlong at talb.lib.md.us
Fri Nov 15 10:51:12 EST 2002

I thought I'd forward this on since I just went nuts trying figure out
what was going on with my new page.

The page has a div which contains a floating div on the left and another
div on the right to create columns (getting away table hacks and all
that). Below that is a spacer div -- div.spacer {clear: both;} just to
keep things straight after the float div.

Worked great until I looked at it in IE6. All of the text in the
right-hand div was missing. But if I opened another window over the
browser then came back, it was there. I could also select the text with my
mouse and it would appear. Weird.

So I tried a few things. Nothing. A few more things. Still nothing. Does
it validate? Mostly. (BTW, what can you do about "unknown entity" errors
coming from links to your catalog?)

Finally I did some Google searches and discovered this page:

http://users.rraz.net/mc_on_the_rocks/testpage/peekaboo.html

Aha! That's exactly the problem I'm having. IE6 bug. Yeah, I knew that,
but confirmation is nice.

I added some position: relative properties (isn't that the default
though?) and all is well.

Just wanted to let everyone know to be aware if you're floating divs
inside parent divs.

--
Robert Long, Talbot County Free Library
Library Systems Administrator