[WEB4LIB] neustar.us and lib.ny.us

Josh Kuperman josh at saratoga.lib.ny.us
Sat Nov 9 12:45:54 EST 2002

I've received the suggestion to register my domain in .org or
somesuch. Which in fact I have, but that hasn't caused any problems,
so I didn't mention it. I have sspl.org as well as
saratoga.lib.ny.us. One thing worth noting is the same site can easily
be in multiple domains. You don't have to have only one domain for
your site or organization.

As far as I know the RFCs still say public libraries should be in the
lib.xx.us domain where xx is the state. Has that changed? I would like
to keep using what is recommended by the RFCs - which weren't well
though out in regard to libaries, but nevertheless provide some
guidance. I would also like to push for competent management of the
.us domain that should be freely available to government and
educational orginizations.

Secondly, I seem to know cheap and easy source to register
domains. Better than some of the suggestion. While you seem to be
aware of the right price range. Gandi.net in France, charges in Euros
(12 Euros - sorry can't find the symbol on my keyboard), which until
recently was less than $10. Now its aobut ten. When I first started
using them it once fell to under eight.

--
Josh Kuperman
josh at saratoga.lib.ny.us