ASP pages remaining stubbornly cached

John Fitzgibbon jfitzgibbon at Galwaylibrary.ie
Thu Nov 28 04:58:01 EST 2002

Hi,

I have uploaded an updated ASP page to my website. When I viewed the page in my browser I see the older version of the page. In Internet Explorer 5.5, I deleted the temporary internet files, cleared the history and restarted the browser but this did not solve the problem.

I thought the page might be cached on the proxy server. I tried on a pc that does not connect to our proxy server but to no avail.

I downloaded the page from my website using ftp and viewed it using the file:// protocol. The correct version displayed. I uploaded the page, viewed it in my browser using the http:// protocol but alas the old version of the page appeared. I tried uploading the page to a different folder on the web server and viewed it from there using my browser; the correct version displays.

In desperation, I deleted the file from the web server. The original version continues to be displayed in my browser. I feel it is haunting me. I am starting to feel like Bill Murray's character in the film 'Groundhog Day'.  Is this a problem with ASP pages? Are ASP pages cached on the web server for days at a time and when the page is requested the web server forwards the cached version without accessing the file on its hard disk? Or am I losing my mind?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards
John