[WEB4LIB] RE: New W3C Validator and character encoding

Robert Sullivan rsullivan at sals.edu
Tue Nov 26 16:56:02 EST 2002

> The XML encoding and the HTML character set need to be the same.
> Either UTF-8, iso-8859-1, or us-ascii, just make them the same in both
> places. Any of the three would probably be correct enough, though
> us-ascii is the narrowest match.

Thomas Dowling suggested removing the meta tag which contained the
encoding, and that seemed to work.

> When I validated your home page by saving it locally then uploading it
> post-edit,
> the validator complained that my browser wasn't sending the right
> encoding request in the HTTP header - until I stopped using MSIE and
> used Mozilla instead.

I got that too when I checked a local file, but not after I uploaded it.
Must be an Internet Explorer quirk.

Thanks for the suggestions on and off the list.

Bob Sullivan  <rsullivan at sals.edu>
Schenectady County Public Library (NY)  <http://www.scpl.org/>
Schenectady Digital History Archive
<http://www.schenectadyhistory.org/>