[WEB4LIB] Re: Tool to check sites that link to your site?

Patricia F Anderson pfa at umich.edu
Sat Nov 16 09:31:55 EST 2002

Just a quick comment. I did a small informal study comparing various
search engines in the number of links retrieved with the link to options,
and also comparing the results with searching the URL as a text string in
the same engine. Unfortunately, the preliminary results are posted on a
secured site, and I can't give you all copies or the methodology used.

In brief, Altavista won, hands down, and in this respect Google's lack of
ability is embarassing. You will have better luck in Google finding sites
that link to yours searching the URL as a text string, and manually
reviewing the links on the page to see if they are active or not. Most
are. What puzzles me is why the Google link to search doesn't work when
the pages are clearly in their database. Also, Google doesn't allow
truncation of the search string in the link to command, but Altavista
does. Makes a significant difference in the utility of the results.

Patricia Anderson, pfa at umich.edu