Staff Resource Pages

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Wed Nov 6 18:19:07 EST 2002

Over the past couple of years, I've had our staff computers set to a "home"
page that lists all of the online resources that staff can access. This page
continues to meet the initial goals which included:

1) Organized by categories
2) Quick loading
3) Minimal or no scrolling
4) No resources is more than one click away

However, as the number of resources has grown, this page has become busier,
making it difficult to pick out individual resources. I'm going to work with
staff to reorganize this page to make it more useful for individual staff
members. I would like to be able to show them different concepts that other
libraries are using for this purpose. If you have publically accessible staff
resource pages that you could share, I would appreciate hearing about them. If
you have particular features, layout, etc. that you like or dislike about your
pages, I would like to hear about those too, even if your page is not
publically accessible. I will be reviewing what John Kupersmith has at his
excellent resource page on this subject here:

http://www.jkup.net/other.html

Also, I'm very interested in hearing from anyone who has implemented the
"MyLibrary" concept as part of their staff resource page. I'm intrigued by the
idea of allowing each staff member to customize their staff resource page but
I want to hear if this is a worthwhile project to pursue or more trouble than
it is worth.

Thank you,

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician