Public Web Browser barcode verification add-on testing

Jerry Kuntz jkuntz at ansernet.rcls.org
Tue May 7 11:47:10 EDT 2002

Forgive this post to multiple lists, but I think there are several forums that would be interested in hearing about the results of testing Public Web Browser's barcode verification/time management add-on module at one of our member libraries.
Basically, we were interested in testing this feature due to the high costs of other public access Internet time management products. PWB and its addons are (at this point) free downloads. As far as we know, all such products--including those that can verify against a circ system patron file--still keep their own separate database that contains the time management variables.
PWB can not yet interface with circ system patron files. However, Scott Vermeersch was able to send us a program that allowed a delimited file extracted from our circ system (barcodes and names) to be downloaded and imported into the PWB database. We did this once initially; the database has been manually updated from that point (although it is possible to use Scott's import program to do incremental loads.) The test library weas the Goshen Public Library and Historical Society. We created a PWB patron file with approx. 5500 records.
When patrons sit down at a public Internet workstation, they see an icon for Internet access. Clicking on the icon will bring up the PWB barcode prompt. After inputing their barcode, there is a 10-20 second delay while that number is checked against the PWB database on their LAN server. According to Goshen's desires, patrons are allowed 2 hours per day. After they use up this time, the browser will close and not allow further logins that day. PWB will also time out patrons with 5 minutes of inactivity if they get up and leave. The patron's PWB record of time used is updated whenever the browser closes.
Suggested improvements noted by the Goshen staff and Director included:
--Shortening the delay for the lookups in the PWB database. The long delay caused some patrons to click on other icons or to repeat clicking on the PWB icon, which froze the PC.
--Using the SIP protocol to do the initial verification against a live circ database. This would also import records as needed.
--Tracking that could record what machines patrons were on at their recent sessions, and when they were on.

The expectation was that PWB's timers could end the need for staff to kick users off workstations so that others could get on. In this, it was a success; and the cost was right!
PWB dows not include any sort of print management system. Nor can it be used as a timer for other (non-browser) applications.

--
Jerry Kuntz
Electronic Resources Consultant
jkuntz at rcls.org