[WEB4LIB] Re: FBI to monitor libraries

Andrew K. Pace andrew_pace at ncsu.edu
Thu May 30 16:59:07 EDT 2002

Karen Harker wrote:

> The PATRIOT ACT, however, allows the FBI/CIA/etc. to request records that =
> could tie users to materials viewed/borrowed/etc. with (and possibly =
> without?) a warrant and certainly *without* the knowledge of the suspect. =

yes, but the PATRIOT Act also allows law enforcement agencies to obtain warrants
with much more ease than they used to.  in the case of foreign nationals, judges
are barely even permitted to question the warrant request

> And while most ILS systems do not store circulation records after the =
> items are returned, the backup tapes do.  These, too, may be requested.  =
> We may feel we are supporting the privacy of our users, but we are doing =
> little better than when we had cards people signed to check out books. =20

much agreed.  lots of ILS's even brag about features that keep long histories of
fine information, so I guess our promise to protect borrowing histories ends
when the material becomes overdue?

> We used to collect IP addresses in our "Search the Library" logs, but are =
> no longer doing this.  However, I wouldn't be surprised if this info is =
> being saved somewhere in IR for the sake of information management.

thankfully, most of our users are within the library, and we do not require
logins.  however, remote access gets a single IP address and timestamps could be
used to triangulate with specific user logins.  i have been proposing that
libraries do all the log analysis that they need and then delete web log files
as soon as possible.  otherwise, log files are asking for a subpoena.  i never
thought about them taking backup tapes, i'm more worried about them hauling away
an entire server!

> Any casual Web user should know that what they view, no matter from where, =
> even (eventually especially?) a library, may be traced back to him/her.

i'm even worried that these opinions are now officially registered with the
dept. of justice.