metadata and related links

Brian Kelly b.kelly at ukoln.ac.uk
Thu May 30 05:42:00 EDT 2002

> Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 15:33:53 -0230 (NDT)
> From: Dianne Cmor <dcmor at mun.ca>
> To: web4lib at webjunction.org
> Subject: metadata and related links
>

> Greetings all,
>
> I'm looking for examples of library (or educational) websites
> that are utilizing metadata in order to dynamically generate
> "Related Pages" links. Any leads?
>

> thanks in advance,
> Dianne Cmor                             Email: dcmor at mun.ca
> Information Services Librarian          Voice: (709) 737-7427
> Queen Elizabeth II Library              Fax: (709) 737-2153
> Memorial University of Newfoundland
> St. John's, Newfoundland   A1B 3Y1

Hi Dianne
   We've been doing this in our Cultivate Interactive Web magazine - see

http://www.cultivate-int.org/

If you go to an article such as
http://www.cultivate-int.org/issue6/cimi/
You'll see the See Related links at the bottom.

The Web magazine is implemented using the Microsoft SiteServer software.
The What's Related feature uses its indexing software.

A description of how we manage the metadata is given at:
http://www.exploit-lib.org/issue5/metadata/

You should be able to do something similar using Web site indexing
software which allows you to index arbitrary META tags.  As well as MS
SiteServer, the latest version of the open source ht://Dig does this -
see
http://www.htdig.org/attrs.html#keywords_meta_tag_names

Brian
Brian Kelly