[WEB4LIB] Re: The word "listserv" copyrighted?

Andro Gagné apgagne at frontiernet.net
Fri May 24 23:53:36 EDT 2002

Dear Nancy Sosna Bohm, Tara Calishain, and anyone else who picked up on my
poorly composed message:

         Unfortunately, I do have to claim responsibility for this
way-too-short, hastily written, un-proofread, and misleading comment:

> >...Why not call it an "e-mail discussion list" or use "Listserv®" with
> proper attribution?

I couldn't believe what I had written when I re-read it!  What I should
have written is:

"Why not call it an 'e-mail discussion list' when referring to an e-mail
discussion list?  I think it's a clearer description of what you're talking
about than 'e-list' or 'electronic list'.  Brevity is nice, but with the
examples you cited, brevity may be confusing for those who are new to
e-mail discussion lists.  When writing about Listserv® brand name software
products by L-Soft, use 'Listserv®' with proper attribution of the
registered trademark."

I have to admit that, even though I knew better, and even though I have
pontificated to others on this subject in the past, at the moment I wrote
the original comment quoted above, I was indeed thinking that the use of
"Listserv®" to refer to a specific e-mail discussion list--the list itself,
not the software running the list--was proper if the trademark notice (®)
were used and if the list were being run on an L-Soft Listserv®
product.  (It is so hard to get rid of bad habits!)  However, this is not
correct.  "Listserv®" cannot be used without infringing L-Soft's trademark
license--their Web site says they have a license to use the
trademark--unless "Listserv®" is used to refer to the software product itself.

         Thanks to Nancy and Tara for keeping this "e-mail discussion list"
contributor honest!

Best regards,

Andro P. Gagné
Andro Gagné Web Design