[WEB4LIB] The word "listserv" copyrighted?

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Fri May 24 16:34:03 EDT 2002

Your boss is right.  That happens with bosses on occasion.

LISTSERV(R) is a registered trademark of L-Soft.  Check out
http://www.lsoft.com/ for more info.  They also go after homonyms like
listserve and listsurv.  And heaven help the guy who's running some
silly stuff like majordomo with an address like
listserv at listserv.nowherestate.edu    They normally just write a
letter or email requesting you to cease and desist, but they've gone
seriously after a couple of blatant, non-repentent offenders.

I'm glad that I'm not the only person who is extremely righteous on
this.  I go on a rant about it at least three times a year on various
LISTSERV(R) mailing lists that I manage.  As far as I'm concerned
"mailing list" or "electronic discussion group" or similar will work.
I'm particularly sensitive on it since I manage a bunch of lists at
listserv.boisestate.edu and am in fact, by chance, wearing a
LISTSERV(R) tshirt today.

And, pass on greetings to the few who are remaining from the "olden
days" when I was running computers and tech services at UNMGL....

cheers

dan

--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan at RiverOfData.com 208-283-7711
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115 USA