[WEB4LIB] The word "listserv" copyrighted?

Hugh Jarvis hjarvis at buffalo.edu
Fri May 24 16:17:27 EDT 2002

LISTSERV is a registered trademark of L-Soft http://www.lsoft.com/.  So on the
level of "Ziploc" and "Xerox", he is quite right.

I usually discourage people from using it regardless, because it doesn't mean
much. Instead I encourage phrases like "e-mail discussion list" that actually
describe what the list does.

	Hugh

Hugh Jarvis  (PhD, MLS)
Cybrarian/Web Information Coordinator
Creative Services - University at Buffalo
330 Crofts Hall, Buffalo, New York, USA 14260-7015
Tel: 716 645-5000 x1428  Fax: -3765
Email: hjarvis at buffalo.edu (preferred)

"[Librarians] are the vintners of the information age"  ME Bates