[WEB4LIB] library floorplans

Sarah Graham Sarah_Graham at emerson.edu
Fri May 24 09:38:35 EDT 2002

Hi Linda

I created a library floorplan for the first time last summer and used both
high and low technology to do it. For anyone interested I've summarized the
process:

First I started with the architectural plans of the library, which was both
the wrong size for an online version (too large) and also because it was way
too detailed (it had everything from sinks to desks). First I photocopied
it, and then I drew a grid over the map. I then took grid paper, and hand
drew a stylized version of the map, to the exact scale, but smaller. I left
out a lot of the details of the former map, such as back room offices and
detail such as the individual cubicles in the bathrooms.

I used Adobe Photoshop to create the online version. In Photoshop I created
a blank image of the right size pixels. In Photoshop there is an option to
impose a grid over your image, and I used this grid to draw the map to scale
from the print version using the pen tool from the Photoshop tools bar. In
photoshop I used a lot of layers in my image - one layer for the outline of
the building, a second layer for the room definitions, and new layers for
each time I imposed text over a feature or room. I have since used the map
for many different things - we have a color coded one for a web tutorial we
use, and I created a print version for our library guide. It can be inserted
into Word documents, or saved as a .gif or .jpg for use on the web. In it's
native format I have it saved at quite a high resolution (600 px per square
inch I think) but it can be saved at lower resolutions for the web (i.e.
72px)

I hope this helps!

Sarah