[WEB4LIB] Re: Google Answers questions

gprice gprice at gwu.edu
Fri May 24 01:39:41 EDT 2002

Shortly after the Google Answers service debuted I interviewed a Google
spokesperson about the service for the VAS&ND.

Here are a few of the answers regarding libraries and the use of VRD's and
remotely accessible databases.  From how the answers read, i did not edit,
it appears that publicly available web resources are what will be used.

Q. What Types of Resources Can Be Used?
A: "Researchers can use any publicly available resource to find an answer
to a user's question. In most cases, the web would be the most efficient
way to find information."

Q. I Asked Google about the use of Virtual Reference Desks (VRD) to answer
questions. For example could a researcher submit an answer where a
portion/all of the research was done by a VRD?
A: They responded by saying, "Researchers can use any publicly available
resource to find an answer to a user's question. However, these virtual
reference services are not likely the best resource for a Researcher
because a Researcher has a limited amount of time to spend answering each
question. If the question is not answered, it goes back into the queue for
another Researcher to work on. Researchers work on one question at a time
and can more quickly find an answer to a difficult question by conducting
the intensive research themselves and synthesizing the answer for the user.
So while virtual reference services can be used as resources, it is not
likely that a Researcher would use those services for their research."

Q. Would the answer, here are some citations I found via my library gain
approval from an Editor?
A. "Researchers are expected to answer the question and provide additional
resources. If the library citations were included among online resources,
this answer would be approved. While citations from a library may be
helpful, Researchers must consider that a user may not have immediate
access to a local library. Because questions to Google Answers are
submitted online, web resources will most likely be utilized by the user."

cheers,
gary

At 11:40 PM 5/23/02, Dan Lester wrote:
>Thursday, May 23, 2002, 8:23:48 AM, you wrote:
>RT> Also worth noting: the online researcher paid to answer questions
>likely does not have
>RT> access to the licensed databases and print resources most librarians
>would have at their
>RT> disposal.
>
>I don't think this is accurate.  We've already established that some
>of them are done by moonlighting librarians.  In addition, they could
>be done by someone else with a library connection, such as a
>researcher or other patron who has access in the library, or remotely.
>I know that anybody with the skills could answer them from anywhere if
>they had a Boise State ID card if database access was needed.
>
>RT>  This is more than a noteworthy disadvantage and could very easily
>make the
>RT> difference between a minimally acceptable answer and a comprehensive,
>definitive answer;
>RT> why pay for the former when you could get the latter for free?
>
>With all the libraries, academic and public, that offer databases
>locally and remotely, this wouldn't seem to be much of an issue.
>
>cheers
>
>dan
>
>--
>Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan at RiverOfData.com 208-283-7711
>3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115 USA
>www.riverofdata.com  www.gailndan.com  Stop Global Whining!

Looking for More News, New Sites, Search Tips?
Visit The Virtual Acquisition Shelf and News Desk
http://resourceshelf.freepint.com

Gary D. Price, MLIS
Librarian
Gary Price Library Research and Internet Consulting
gary at freepint.com