[WEB4LIB] Public access machines and network security

Phillip B. Whitford pwhitford at braswell-library.org
Thu May 23 07:21:44 EDT 2002

Robin,

On our public machines in this public library we run a wide range of
software including, Office XP Suite, a variety of CD and Internet based data
base products, Windows Media Player, a good dozen educational games for
children, adaptive software for visually impaired patrons, and of course
Internet access.  We are just now putting out CD burning hardware/software
as well.

We have a partition on each public computer's hard drive that patrons can
save files to. They can also save to the floppy drive and a zip drive. But
we are finding the zip drives get very little use.

Patrons cannot access network drives or resources.

We secure the computers through a mix of Windows Policies and Permissions,
the security product Winshielf PCSecure, and by making configuration changes
for public use. For example disconnecting CD/DVD drives, renaming Windows
Help file, using strong passwords, and the like. We use Public Web Browser
for it's security features as well.

We control printing via OCS print vend software and Dameware NT Utilities
for PC management across the network. We use Symantec Corporate Anti-virus.
It's got nothing to do with CIPA but earlier this year we started blocking
access to hardcore porn sites via our firewall and it has made life a lot
easier for staff and patrons alike.

We strive to make all the PCs within groups exactly the same. All the PCs in
the public lab are alike, all the PACs, are alike, all the children's
computers are alike, etc. We configure and test a prototype and when we are
satisfied with it we Ghost it to the rest of the like computers.

The computers are physically secured to their desks by either a cable lock
system, or if access to the PC is not required by the patron, (as in PACs)
by locking the CPU in a cabinet.  Instead of buying costly keyboard, mouse,
and headphone locking devices we purchased a large quantity of small hasps
and keyed alike padlocks from a lock locksmith. Total cost was about $3 per
computer. We put the hasps on the back of the PC and run the cables for the
mice, keyboards, headphones, and the cable for tethering the CPU itself
through the hasp and then lock it.  Works great.

Now if I can just figure a way to keep the young kids from chewing on the
headphone cables :-)

Phillip B. Whitford
Braswell Memorial Library
727 N. Grace St Rd, Rocky Mount, NC 27804
252-442-1951
Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Braswell Library