[WEB4LIB] Re: Google Answers questions

gprice gprice at gwu.edu
Wed May 22 14:03:01 EDT 2002

Bernie:
So it sounds like it's a combo of both marketing (what Karen and I mention)
followed-up with excellent service if/when a patron decides to use it. Good
service not only leaves the patron with the information he or she needs but
it can provide "word of mouth" promotion from satisfied patrons/customers,
which in many ways is precisely how Google has made such an impact.

I concur with marketing at the point of need but this should not be in
place of marketing "outside" the library. The point of need for many can be
at home, on the road, or at the office.

Perhaps patrons who've never used the "physical" library will become
instant users of digital reference services? These people could also be
"gatekeepers" who will let others, maybe other current library users, that
these services are available. In other words it's a way to increase library
usage.

It's been my experience, especially in this age of Google, that ALL "web
search" training sessions should/must have a "what the library" offers
component and to stress many services are available WITHOUT having to leave
your home or office. This way you alert folks who want to "search the web"
that while Google, AllTheWeb, etc. are useful tools BUT they aren't the
only tools available. Then, give actual examples of how a library
database/virtual ref service could assist.

It's also been my experience that people, some library users others not,
will be more likely to attend a Google/web search session vs. a "how to use
the library" seminar.

cheers,
gary

At 01:31 PM 5/22/02, Sloan, Bernie wrote:

>Karen Schneider said:
>
>"The collective advice I received: "You're right, Karen, the library
>needs to hire some marketing professionals to get the word out."  We
>don't publish our books--maybe we shouldn't try to do our own PR?"
>
>Marketing and PR are important when it comes to making people aware of
>library-based Q&A services (i.e., reference services). But marketing and PR
>are just part of that equation.
>
>When I give a talk on digital reference services (which is a for-free
>library equivalent of the for-fee Google Answers) I like to stress the term
>"visibility". It's my take on the digital reference services version of the
>first item in RUSA's "Guidelines for Behavioral Performance of Reference and
>Information Services Professionals" See Section 1.0 ("Approachability") at
>http://www.ala.org/rusa/stnd_behavior.html).
>
>To me, PR and marketing are part of the "visibility" equation. A good
>marketing campaign can raise people's awareness of a service. But to
>complete the equation you need to work on ways to make the user aware of
>your service at the user's point of need.
>
>As Karen also said "A consultation with a reference librarian also
>requires...knowing that you can consult with a reference librarian." If we
>can make people aware that they "can consult with a reference librarian" at
>the time that they need to consult with a reference librarian (i.e., at
>their point of need) we'll be a lot closer to seeing increased use of the
>digital reference services we offer.
>
>Bernie Sloan

Looking for More News, New Sites, Search Tips?
Visit The Virtual Acquisition Shelf and News Desk
http://resourceshelf.freepint.com

Gary D. Price, MLIS
Librarian
Gary Price Library Research and Internet Consulting
gary at freepint.com