[WEB4LIB] Re: Google Answers questions

Dan Ream dream at vcu.edu
Wed May 22 13:58:15 EDT 2002

Re: the wearing of nametags and anonymity at the reference desk....

Our urban university library has been through the same
arguments/discussions because of similar clientele and perceived dangers.

So now we wear university IDs around our necks that no one can read.
Ahh, compromise! ;-)

Seriously, it seems a shame that "normal" users are denied learning who we
are because of the lunatic fringe among our clientele and (not to belittle
the occasional real dangers we face) somehow I don't think a librarian's
concept of danger can rival that of a 7-11 clerk at 4AM who wears a
nametag.

I think if librarians are going to step out of the shadows and become
accepted as authoritative, they'll need to overcome this anonymity
problem.

If you weren't a librarian--who would you trust?..  Google, whose made
themselves a household name with an excellent search engine....or some
anonymous guy sitting behind a library desk?

And Sue--I think your patron who approaches you at the desk to ask if you
work there is probably dealing with plain old awkwardness-- they probably
never went to charm school or cotillion! ;-)

--Dan Ream
   Virginia Commonwealth University Library
    Richmond, Virginia

P.S. Apologies if we've veered off the usual subject matter of Web4Lib a
bit here- though I think the issue of authority of help sources--online
versus live--is pretty relevant. Or I hope so.