[WEB4LIB] Re: Google Answers questions

Dan Ream dream at vcu.edu
Wed May 22 11:43:31 EDT 2002

I think Patricia's point about accountability is an interesting one, but would
add that few library patrons--if they had a gun held to their head--could name
the reference librarian who helped them a few minutes ago--even if they EVER knew
who they were talking to.

We in libraries are among the most anonymous service workers I've ever dealt
with. Even the cashier at 7-11 wears a nametag , but rarely do I encounter a
librarian's or library staff member's name without asking.

Our accountability and perhaps our image might be much improved by putting our
names out there a little more.

Think about that the next time you're sitting at a reference desk--how can the
next user who walks up tell who you are and whether or not you're qualified to
give an authoritative answer!

Off my soapbox now! ;-)

--Dan Ream
   Head, Education & Outreach Services
   Virginia Commonwealth University Libraries
    Richmond, Virginia
    dream at vcu.edu