[WEB4LIB] Re: Google Answers questions

gprice gprice at gwu.edu
Wed May 22 10:36:15 EDT 2002

Karen,
You make some excellent points. A few thoughts.

>===== Original Message From kgs at bluehighways.com =====
>A consultation with a reference librarian also requires:
>
>* Knowing that you can consult with a reference librarian (speaking of
>jargon, I don't see the word "reference" anywhere on their answer site).
>Raise your hand if you think your library's reference services are as
>well-known to people in your community as Google.

Perhaps libraries, or whatever you want to call them, need to evaluate or
reevaluate how they market and promote services, skills, and abilities. Not
only has Google created a great product and reputations but they also really
demo that viral marketing works.

Another problem that I've seen how some libraries label databases on web pages
and handouts. Ebscohost, Expanded Academic ASAP. etc.  doesn't mean a great
deal to most people. Couple this with so many databases (including Google,
AllTheWeb, etc) to choose from and many searched in a different manner further
complicate the problem. So, just getting started is a huge undertaking for
many people.

>I agree with Rich.  "Matching people with good answers" sounds like a
>service that at minimum has its niche.  Google has the money to keep
>playing with this until they get it right or until they conclude it's a
>pointless $$-sink.  My questions are how much this service competes with
>free online services provided by libraries... time will tell...

Again, this is a question of marketing and demonstrating what we offer both at
the library building itself or remotely. I've yet to give a presentation and
have more than one or two people know that public libraries offer many free
services, including remotely accessible databases.

Also, since Google Answers can only use "on the web" resources to answer
questions what does this say to those who write the big checks to online
database services like Ebsco, Gale, and Proquest? Why are they spending the
money? Should vendors also help promote these services at the libraries who
buy access to them?

Cheers,
gary

>===== Original Message From kgs at bluehighways.com =====
>A consultation with a reference librarian also requires:
>
>* Knowing that you can consult with a reference librarian (speaking of
>jargon, I don't see the word "reference" anywhere on their answer site).
>Raise your hand if you think your library's reference services are as
>well-known to people in your community as Google.
>
>* Wanting to consult with a reference librarian (here, computers may
>have an unfair advantage--I have a hunch we are all inclined to be more
>lenient with computer glitches, whereas one bad interaction with a
>librarian can turn someone off that service for good)
>
>* Connecting with the library on its own terms (examining the timestamps
>on those questions would be interesting)--which can involve driving,
>parking, etc. or (if you know to do it) using an online reference
>service.
>
>I agree with Rich.  "Matching people with good answers" sounds like a
>service that at minimum has its niche.  Google has the money to keep
>playing with this until they get it right or until they conclude it's a
>pointless $$-sink.  My questions are how much this service competes with
>free online services provided by libraries... time will tell...

>Karen G. Schneider kgs at lii.org  http://lii.org
>Coordinator, Librarians' Index to the Internet
>lii.org  New This Week:     http://lii.org/ntw
>      lii.org: Information You Can Trust!

Looking for News, New Sites, Search Tips?
Visit The Virtual Acquisition Shelf and News Desk
http://resourceshelf.blogspot.com

Gary D. Price, MLIS
Librarian
Gary Price Library Research and Internet Consulting
gprice at gwu.edu