[WEB4LIB] Re: Google Answers questions

Karen G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Wed May 22 09:59:53 EDT 2002

A consultation with a reference librarian also requires:

* Knowing that you can consult with a reference librarian (speaking of
jargon, I don't see the word "reference" anywhere on their answer site).
Raise your hand if you think your library's reference services are as
well-known to people in your community as Google.

* Wanting to consult with a reference librarian (here, computers may
have an unfair advantage--I have a hunch we are all inclined to be more
lenient with computer glitches, whereas one bad interaction with a
librarian can turn someone off that service for good)

* Connecting with the library on its own terms (examining the timestamps
on those questions would be interesting)--which can involve driving,
parking, etc. or (if you know to do it) using an online reference
service.

I agree with Rich.  "Matching people with good answers" sounds like a
service that at minimum has its niche.  Google has the money to keep
playing with this until they get it right or until they conclude it's a
pointless $$-sink.  My questions are how much this service competes with
free online services provided by libraries... time will tell...

Karen G. Schneider kgs at lii.org  http://lii.org
Coordinator, Librarians' Index to the Internet
lii.org  New This Week:     http://lii.org/ntw
      lii.org: Information You Can Trust!