[WEB4LIB] RE: Information Literacy (was Jargon...which was

Blake Carver carver.50 at osu.edu
Mon May 20 14:19:47 EDT 2002

>My question is: should we be doing a better job of teaching our users the
>difference between web sites and databases?

Yes, even though it's a never ending task, and we only reach some very
small part of our users. I think it's still a very important part of why we
are here. I have always felt education and information literacy are a
central part of librarianship.

>  Should we just be doing this in our library instruction classes (e.g.
> should we reframe our definitions of
>information literacy to state that the person should be able to distinguish
>between web sites, databases, and other types of web programs/software), or
>should are there some creative things we could be doing on our web sites to
>assist users to do this?

I'd say both. They are both very worthy pursuits that will help our users
later in life. Reaching them in a classroom, or through the web, or some
combination of both is a great approach, not one or the other.

-Blake