Self-serve prepaid printing for library guests? (ps Google)

Richard Wiggins rich at richardwiggins.com
Mon May 20 13:43:36 EDT 2002

Greetings from Las Vegas, where my wife is attending an OCLC-sponsored
training event.  Just now I discovered the airy and lovely Information
Commons at UNLV, which it turns out is very guest-friendly:

-- Just sign up at the desk and they'll give you guest Internet access.

-- Just go to an automated machine and you can get a card that gives
printing rights at 2 pennies a page.  Print at will, and go to a print
station, plug your card in, click to print your jobs.  Works great.

-- And friendly folks are there to help in both processes.

Here's my question: how many university libraries make it so easy for random
guests to do these things?  (A staff member told me that public access to
surfing and printing is a commonly-used service.)

What tools do you use to make it happen?

/rich (off to the Star Trek Experience)

PS -- Google news re Dilbert:

Dear Google Friends,

If you haven't been to Google yet today, come check out our homepage:
It's all about Dilbert. Starting today, Scott Adams -- known to
cube-dwellers everywhere as Dilbert's creator -- will have his way
with our logo for an entire week, submitting our brand to the tender
mercies of his crack team of management consultants. Cartoonist,
MBA, and certified hypnotist Adams has made his mark mocking bosses,
marketing plans, performance reviews, and other workplace afflictions
in 2,000 newspapers, 65 countries, and 25 languages. We're sure he'll
meet or exceed his goals at Google too. To find out, come to:

   http://www.google.com/

We look forward to your visit and wish you the best.

The Google Team

Richard Wiggins
Writing, Speaking, and Consulting on Internet Topics
rich at richardwiggins.com       www.richardwiggins.com