[WEB4LIB] RE: Politics (was library jargon, which was "Our usability test...")

N. Lynn Schlatter lschlatt at smlnet.sml.lib.la.us
Mon May 20 10:14:19 EDT 2002

One of the things that has made me envious of the people responding on this
thread is that they seem to be able to place users' needs ahead of
everything else for web design decisions.  If only...

Here's the reality at my place.  Our public library web site now has a very
simple (one might even say "austere") gateway.  Previously, every time I put
a new link on the front page, four other people wanted their information
there as well.  Job Openings, Poem of the Day, Building Program, Board of
Control, etc.  For the sake of employment security, I stopped trying to
referee what was really important enough for the front page and kicked them
all off.

BTW, I keep looking for a "Politics of Web Design" conference and never find
one ;-).

Lynn Schlatter
Instructional Coordinator
Shreve Memorial Library