Webserver: Multiple Choices

Bob Jones bjones at unf.edu
Thu May 2 13:57:51 EDT 2002

Our campus Linux Apache webserver (which the Library uses) has recently
been upgraded.  The campus administrators have intentionally set it so
that if a document is not retrievable (previously 404 - not available) a
screen displays multiple choices (status 300) of documents with close or
variant spellings.  For a number of reasons we don't want this behavior in
the library Web tree.

1.  Can someone tell me which configuration variable sets this behavior.

2.  Is there a way to turn it off at the directory level?  If this can be
done through an .htaccess file, please help me with the syntax.

Thanks.

Bob Jones

Robert P. Jones, M.S.L.S.
Head, Library Public Services & Library Systems
Thomas G. Carpenter Library
University of North Florida
Library - Building 12
4567 St. Johns Bluff Road, South